Monday 1 June 2020

Space Wolf Terminator Captain

It all start with with WD112. A youger Fury would spend hours on every WD he got his hands on some more than others. It was a different age. No internet, no Google just images in a magazine. 



This WD stands out to me more than most because it introduces me to the Terminator Captain drawings by Jes Goodwin. 

That brooding face. I even attempted to draw this picture about a 100 times. After this sctech there were a few others mainly the same captain wearing different sleeves. 
But the same dark face. 

So during a discussion with my two other mates the question was asked what's your favourite mini of all time. It was a quick answer for me the Terminator Captain. 

It so happens that all three of us had the same mini but never painted it. So it was decided to have a good old fashion paint off. 

I have always been intimated by this mini. Always wanting to do it justice. 

This guy looks clean but man he was beat up. The next problem was what base size the old school 25mm where his feet hang off the edges or the modern 40mm for the larger terminators. 
You can see the 25mm on the left looks very under done. And the 40mm swallows the smaller terminator. So I went for nice medium a 32mm 
Perfect. The mini on the right was my test mini. I wanted to try a darker grey for the armour and use glazing to bring our the gradient, I wasn't exactly convinced of my ability to pull it off. 
under coat then a zenthial spray from the top down. 
then I went about working it to death.
At this point I told myself the armour was done. But... 
I wanted it darker so I started all over again. Thinly, Everson thinly building up the dark to light. 
Now I'm starting add colour and block it in.
I get asked alot about the face. The trick for this is 💯 under painting. I start with a grey base that's been highlighted from the top down creating the gradient then very thine coats of flesh till it sits right. Don't over work it or think it. Make the eyes and lines pop with some watered down brown ink.
NMM is the bane of my existence. I have been working at this for years and still have not come up with the right formula. I always tend to over work it. So I decided to try and make it pop more. Still not happy with it. Needs more practice.
Free hand time. I love this image and been an old school space wolf player it really feels like home. I wanted to pay homage to these markings. 

1st I went all out trying to recreate one of my all time versions of the mini. That didn't turn out the way I wanted. Some times with free hand you get it 1st go or you just don't get it. 
Arghhh. The checks went awesome. But the icon. Frukkkme. I just need more practice. It was the wrong arm anyway so I went digging found the correct arm and went for the captain logo seen in the white dwarf. 

Steady...
Few.. now the tail. I have been practicing the tail for a few days. Just drawing it free hand till I knew for sure all the dimensions. 
Nailed it... Well sort of. I chickened out and went with a transfer instead. After watching a you tube on how to make transfers more realistic I thought I would give that a shot. It work out so well 99% of people think I free hand it. 
So that's looking mint 
i missed the right eye a little and I'm going to go back and add a little yellow to make them wolfish. After the voting was done my face won not my mini just the face. I will take that. 
There we have it finally made to a WD!! Well sort of this is part of 40kheresy.com
Few more shots 

1 comment: